Chili Rellanos for 6
Chili Rellanos for 6
What you Need:
- 10 Pablamo chilies
- 1 lb Monterey Jack Cheese
- 6 eggs-separated
- ½ cup flour
- GLOVES!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me on this one!!!
- 1-2 c vegetable oil
- Paper towels
- Large frying pan
1. GLOVES!!!! Have I mentioned that it would be “real” nice to have throw away gloves??!!!!
2. Preheat oven at 425 degrees.
3. Put the chilies on baking sheets and put in oven for 25 minutes until nice and burnt on the outsides.
4. Take out of oven and cool. GO PUT YOUR GLOVES ON!!!! Once cooled, peel off “burnt” parts and then cut open and take out seeds. This does NOT have to be perfect!!! Then, rinse under water and put aside.
5. Take Monterey Jack cheese and cut into pieces (check video)
6. Now, put the chilies on flat surface, then put cheese in the middle, fold the sides over and weave a toothpick through the sides (not piercing the cheese) No more than 3 toothpicks!!!! Again, does NOT have to be perfect!!!
7. Put some flour on a plate or pan and then take the chilies and coat them with flour. This is important because it help keep the batter stick to the chilies. Put aside.
8. Now, take the 6 egg whites and whip it up until peaked. Then, fold the egg yolks into the blender and keep whipping. Next add ¼-1/2 c of flour…and keep on whipping…whip it good!!
9. In a large frying pan, add 1-2 cups of vegetable oil so that it is 1-2 inches and heat ‘er up.
10. Now, “WHERE ARE THOSE GLOVES”???? Put them on!!!
11. Take the floured chili and dip it in the batter, then put it in the hot oil and cook. About a minute. Then turn it over, and do the same. You want them golden brown. Once done, take them out and put on a paper towel and do the process again. Don’t do more than 2 at a time.
***While they are cooking, go and take the tooth picks out of the ones on the paper towel***
Remember…you put 3 in each one of them…now count..1-2-3 and make sure!!!
Now, you are ready to serve and I strongly suggest using my Spanish Sauce. Check my blog at www.chefboyrd2.com for that recipe!!!!!
SPANISH SAUCE FOR RELLENOS
2 TBS olive oil
½ medium onion, julienne
1 TBS chopped garlic
1 jalapeno, seeded & julienne
1 red pepper, seeded & julienne
1 yellow pepper, seeded & julienne
1 orange pepper, seeded & julienne
1 roma tomato, seeded & julienne
1 (4 oz) can tomato sauce
Use same amount of water as in tomato can
Heat olive oil in a skillet to the smoking point and then add onions, peppers and tomatoes and sauté for about 2 mins. Add the garlic and sauté another minute. Add tomato sauce, water and simmer for 10 minutes. Adjust the seasoning with salt & pepper and then serve on top of chili relleno servings.
This recipe makes 4 servings.